Do you know why Koh Tao is absolutely perfect for diving?
First of all, the water temperature there is never lower than 27C/81F, so you can dive in Koh Tao all year round. The second reason is the visibility, which can be up to 30m/98ft. The third reason is that there a lot of great dive sites close to Koh Tao and dive centers that provide dive trips as well as courses. Sounds good, doesn’t it?
Koh Tao is one of the best Thai islands and a very popular destination for vacations and scuba diving. You’ll find many different activities to do, traditional Thai cuisine in restaurants, vivid nightlife, and some shopping opportunities. Koh Tao’s beaches are really perfect for just lying there and enjoying the sun and warm water, but if this seems boring to you, then there are plenty of opportunities to go diving.
Scuba diving in Koh Tao is one of the top activities. There are many dive centers that offer a variety of diving trips every day. If you are a beginner who is just getting started, you can find courses and get a certification as well. If you would prefer to snorkel, one of the best areas on the island for snorkeling is Aow Leuk.
The waters around Koh Tao are calm and shallow with almost no currents, great visibility, and rich marine life. In addition to colorful coral reefs, you will also find schools of tropical fish, clownfish, butterfly-fish, moray eels, turtles, rays, and sea snakes, cleaner wrasses, reef sharks, leopard sharks, and even whale sharks. Because Koh Tao has become very popular among tourists, there is environmental damage both on land and under the water within the coral reefs. There are now groups that are working hard to preserve nature and the marine environment as well, so be careful and follow the rules when you dive and help to safeguard the beauty of underwater life and preserve the natural environment.
Don’t forget to write your bucket list for dive sites in Koh Tao! Some of the must-see spots are:
- Chumphon Pinnacle is one of the most popular sites on Koh Tao. It consists of a large pinnacle with several smaller ones surrounding it. You can expect to see mantas and whale sharks.
- Green Rock is perfect for divers of all levels. The site consists of swim-throughs around granite boulders, caverns, and caves.
- Japanese Gardens is ideal for beginners, and is a great site for an up-close encounter with a huge variety of different fish.
- Hin Wong Pinnacle is a unique dive site with a variety of corals, including whip corals and black corals, as well as sea fans and diverse marine life.
- Southwest Pinnacles is considered to be one of the best dive sites in Thailand, because of the chance to see whale sharks.
- Shark Island is a good site spotting leopard sharks, turtles, and blue spotted stingrays, but here can be strong currents.
When is the best time to go scuba diving in Koh Tao?
If you have decided to explore the beauty of Koh Tao’s underwater world, don’t hesitate about the choice of the season, because you can dive in Koh Tao all year round. Temperatures drop to around 24C/75F during the northeast monsoon season, which starts in October and lasts until January, with the possibility of heavy rain.
How to get to Koh Tao?
To get to Koh Tao by plane, you should first get a flight to Koh Samui and then take a ferry to Koh Tao. You can also take a ferry from Chumphon. A ferry ride can take from one hour to several hours, depending on the departure location.
Would you like to go scuba diving in Koh Tao? Check out dive centers and their offers on Divebooker.com, and feel free to contact us and ask us questions.